While I was making vegan Elvises, I also made another (huge) batch of dark chocolate cake truffles.
So far, I have tried the following as accessory flavors. All of these add a nice texture, but contrasting flavors (salty, spicy and sour) work best. With darker and less sweet chocolate coatings, sweet toppings are fine. Sweeter flavors on the vanilla coating can be a little cloying since vanilla candy coat is already a little too sweet for me. Your local 7-11 is an excellent source for accessories…small package sizes and LOTS of junk food!
- Fancy salts: Hawaiian black salt, Himalayan pink salt, Australian pink salt. Black salt looks especially fancy on vanilla coating.
- Crushed saltines: good for texture and as above, salt and chocolate = tasty.
- Crushed Oreos: okay, but looks nicer on vanilla candy coat than chocolate
- Crushed Butterfinger: nice color
- Toasted pecans, walnuts or peanuts
- Almonds: blanched, smoked, and plain roasted
- Wasabi powder
- Chipotle chili powder
- Shredded coconut
- Chocolate jimmies (boring, but looks nice)
- Colored sugar (boring, but looks nice)
- Chopped pretzels
- PB2, Peanut butter powder
- True Orange Ginger powder
- Instant espresso powder
- Coconut bacon
- And my favorite junk food, Salt and Pepper Kettle Chips
An assortment of accessory toppings looks nice as well.