This was my first trip to Bellingham and I would love to go back. The downtown area is extremely cute and it would have been nice to walk around and look in the other shops. However, we were in a hurry. Mrs Chen, the little Chens, and I were enroute to Vancouver, BC to meet Mr Chen and Mr Shuck, who were riding their bicycles from Seattle to Vancouver, BC as part of Cascade Bicycle Club’s RSVP.
We did take the time to visit Katie’s Cupcakes, one of 2 cupcake stops on this trip.
I was very optimistic when walking up to the storefront and seeing such a cute window display. Apparently their logo is by a fellow WordPress blogger, Frantic Pants.and then we walked in and the interior was happy and welcoming
There was a comfy chair in the bathroom so moms could nurse babies…or wait on their child to finish up….
And, of course, there were cupcakes!
Also available that day:
- Very Very Vanilla: white cake topped with vanilla butter cream
- Classy Cupcake: white cake topped with chocolate butter cream
- Black and White: chocolate cake topped with vanilla butter cream
- Chocoholic: chocolate cake with dark chocolate butter cream
All of the flavors were available in minis (called Maciecakes), so I chose 6
All of the cakes were extremely moist and the icings were not overly sweet. I didn’t even get to taste until late that evening and the cupcakes hadn’t suffered a bit. I ate half of each of them that night and shared the other halves the next day. All of the cupcake halves were still moist and delicious (although not very attractive as I dropped the box TWICE).
- German chocolate (top left): This was a light chocolate cake topped with a coconut/nut frosting. Excellent texture from the coconut and nuts. I would definitely get this again.
- Pina Colada (top right): Unfortunately the mini didn’t come with an umbrella! This lack made it pretty unremarkable to look at. Pineapple flavored cake topped with white coconut icing. This bite of cake was just okay. We had a much tastier Pina Colada cake at PinkaBella.
- Black Bottom (middle left): This was an amazing bite! I must confess that I was unable to leave the other half until the next day. I was unwilling to share this one! Rich dark chocolate cake filled with a tiny dab of cheesecake filling, topped with a delicate chocolate butter cream, and garnished with a swirl of cream cheese icing. Tangy chocolate goodness. The best Black Bottom cupcake I’ve had.
- Carrot Cake (middle right): Visible strips of carrot in a soft, lightly spiced cake. The cream cheese icing was tart and lightly sweet. No pineapple chunks or raisins!
- Chocoholic (bottom left): The same dark chocolate cake as the Black Bottom, but topped with a bittersweet chocolate icing that was so dark it was almost black. This one was also delightful.
- Very Very Vanilla (bottom right): I didn’t have a taste of this one, but was told that it was “very good” even the next day.
If I lived in Bellingham, I’d have a hard time staying away from Katie’s. I wish they weren’t almost 2 hours away! I will definitely check them out again if ever I am nearby.
One thought on “Katie’s Cupcakes, Bellingham, WA”
ROAD TRIP! I call shotgun!